The Government has changed their Nutritional Guidelines. I don’t know how often they make changes, but this made the National News tonight.
It struck me as I was listening to it that some things really did not change, but some others changed significantly. Now we all know that most people do not pay much attention to the guidelines. That’s probably why we are a nation of obese people and chronic illnesses are at an all time high.
- Eating lots of vegetables and fruits has not changed. That continues to be high on the list. We all know that fruits and vegetables are good for us even though we do not usually eat enough of them.
- Eating whole grains is also still high on the list and we all have heard that we need to include those in our diets over and over again.
- Sugar, the deadly sugar, is highlighted the new nutritional guidelines because more and more we learn how bad sugar is. The recommendation for sugar is that we have no more than 10% of our daily calories be sugar.That’s one can of soda! Think about it. I wrote a post on the evils of sugar a while ago so I will not elaborate here. Go and read it if you want to know more.
- Salt, also evil, especially for the millions of people with heart disease. The new guideline is for 1 tsp per day. One Tsp per day!! Many of us put more than that on our potatoes or french fries when we eat them!
- And the surprising one, at least to me, is that Cholesterol, not eating it, has been removed. It’s no longer considered a DANGER! That is from some new studies that have just been released in the last year. The egg people must be EGGSTATIC! I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist.
So there you have the highlights of the new Nutritional Guidelines. My take? As always, be sensible about what you eat and the amount you eat. Have a balance of different foods in your diet daily and your body will be happy.
If you enjoyed this or found some value, please feel free to comment and share!
PS: If you are in search of something to keep you on track toward your goal, CHECK OUT my FREE 24 week program HERE.
PPS: Open to making some extra money on the side in the New Year? Work with me as an Affiliate. GO HERE!